Friday, October 5, 2012

Koh Phi Phi

I've spent the last couple days with Fabrice on Koh Phi Phi.  The island is beautiful and has a lot to offer. There is a pretty eclectic group of travelers here.  Between the drunken Aussies who are here for the sole purpose of partying, to the island sport thrill seekers, and the day trip sight-seers, there is plenty of good people watching to do.

Wednesday night, Fabrice passed out early and I made the mistake of casually drinking two vodka-red bulls while checking my email.  This eventually led me to the dance party on the beach, complete with "buckets" and a fire show. I shook it amongst a sweet group of Russians. There was a bit of a communication barrier but that didn't stop us from having a good time.

Yesterday, we did a half day of rock climbing and ended up with a pretty cool guide. He looked like the Leo DiCaprio from the movie "The Beach," which happened to be filmed on a small island just a short boat ride from here. This kid recently graduated from the U of U and moved here at the beginning of the summer. He lived in Sugar House. That was an entertaining conversation. 

Tonight is shaping up to be a good night. Fabrice just brewed up a fresh batch of mojitos. The night dwellers are starting to come out of the woodwork, emerging from daylight hibernation like bats out of a cave.

Tomorrow is a big day for me. Fabrice needs to leave the island to head back to Shanghai for work. This could mean my first day on my own. The real adventure is about to begin and I still have no more of a plan than I did when I got here. Meh!

Last day on Phi Phi. Waiting for the boat to come take us away.

No comments:

Post a Comment