Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bunny

That last post was actually supposed lead in to the story of my last day in Phuket and my plans to move on. I don't remember if I got distracted or if I decided it was nothing to write home about. I'll summarize it here for good measure. I woke up two days ago feeling worlds better. I swear if I get sick fourteen or fifteen more times, I'll have to consider cutting this trip short. I went down to the beach with Kenny. I played in the waves like a kid. I rented a motorbike and scooted up a steep, winding, mountain road to a giant Buddha. I took pictures of that big guy, the sunset, and the panoramic view of the island and surrounding area.
View from the Big Budha
I met an American guy up there from the US Navy who admitted several times in our 10 minute conversation that he had no idea what exactly their purpose is. On my scoot back down the mountain road, I came across a baby elephant dancing in the middle of it. Seriously, where was his mother. Before heading home, I stopped at a bar with WiFi to hang out and relax for a bit. I met a nice German girl with whom I ended up having dinner and a coconut. That's not code for anything by the way, but "sharing a coconut" will be from here on out.  We exchanged emails and went our sperate ways.

Yesterday morning, I took the 8 am van, or "mini bus" (pffff!), from Kata to the Surat Thani train station. That was a pleasant four hour drive on which I started out alone, and ended up crammed in with a load of Thais that we picked up randomly along the way. Not to mention half way through the ride, the driver put on a live performance DVD of Thailand's very own Tom Jones, complete with entourage of scantily clad Thai backup singer/dancers. The only two sound settings seemed to be, "off" and, "headache."

I arrived at the train station at around 1pm and bought two consecutive night train tickets. Destination: Chiang Mai. The first train, to Bangkok, left at 6:38pm, which gave me plenty of time to wander around and write "Some Nights." I arrived in Bangkok this morning around 7 and I board the next train at 6 tonight. I'll get to Chiang Mai tomorrow around 6:30am. Sans stresse! 

No comments:

Post a Comment