Saturday, October 6, 2012

Circus Life

I decided to leave Phi Phi with Fabrice yesterday and head back to Phuket to give ourselves a little more time together. He wanted to show me a little part of the island called Patong.

We strolled around this crazy place, randomly stopping for a beer at bars with the best views of the nightlife. Fabrice says Sin City, in it's literal sense, has got nothing on Patong. I might have to agree. Half the people you see are hookers and hagglers having a go at your money. You can't walk ten steps without someone whistling at you or grabbing your arm, or shoving a menu or some junky trinket in your face. "Ping pong show!" "Need a new suit?!" "Cheep beer!" "Hungry?" "Follow me!" "Massage!" "Ping pong show!" There were a shocking number of older white guys strutting around hand in hand with their little Thai prize. Bright lights and loud music in every direction. Mothers with their children walking around with their ass hanging out. A couple with a baby in a stroller with a beer in each cup holder. A family of five with young ones sitting front row at street ladyboy pole show. And college-aged beefcakes a plenty! I thought Murray was bad, these guys must have a hub here. I digress. There are no rules, which is actually a good thing since I only saw two cops all night.  It's crazy to think that people live here.

This whole scene is not exactly my cup of tea, but it is very worth seeing. Anyway, Fabrice took a cab to the airport at 10:30 pm and I retired to my cramped windowless room. It feels like a prison cell, with barely enough space for the bed and small table and chair that occupy it. The light even flickers and buzzes when you flip it on. I appreciate the dramatic effect. And having no windows turned out to be a blessing.  Without them, the ruckus out on the streets is only a faint background noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment